It’s not always easy to talk to your child about self-harm but here are a few words of advice for when that moment comes….
- Honesty and compassion are the important first responses.
- Don’t expect your child to accept what you say or listen to you
- Don’t expect them to acknowledge their problem.
- Let them know you are concerned.
- Assure them that you’re there for them.
- Don’t judge.
- Don’t tell them you understand, the chances are, you don’t.
- Be prepared to listen and act when they do ask for your input.
- Seek professional help and advice. Some young people appreciate a mentor of their own age or just a bit older.
- Treat anything you are told in confidence.
- Ensure their safety. For example, you can’t stop them cutting themselves but you can supply dressings and offer to help clean their wounds.
- Find a Friend for yourself.